Open your Bibles to the Psalm extolling the majesty of God’s word, Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (KJV)
Many years ago a missionary statesman stood holding a well worn Bible and said:
Though the cover is worn and pages torn… and places bore traces of tears–
More precious than gold is this book worn… and old, that can shatter and scatter my fears–
When I prayerfully look in this precious old bood many pleasures and treasures I see–
Many promises of love from my Father above, who is nearest and dearest to me.
This book is my guide, tis a friend by my side– it will brighten and lighten my way.
And each promise I find, soothes and gladdens my mind as I teach it and preach it each day.
To this book I will cling, of its worth I will sing though great losses and crosses be mine.
For I cannot despair, though surrounded with care, while possessing this blessing divine.
What is the blessing divine? It is the final reason why I preach that the Bible is literally true is because of its life transforming power. This 7th reason is a crescendo. Looking at them together we can see them as a unit. The Proof of Scripture and then as a second series The Power of the Scriptures.
What Are the Seven Proofs That Verify the Scriptures?
- JESUS BELIEVED THE SCRIPTURES: He often said “Search the Scriptures” “have you not read.”
- The One Who created all things Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (KJV)
- The One who stilled raging seas Mark 4:39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. (KJV)
- The One who quelled the terror of disease Mark 5:34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague. (KJV)
- The One who halted the grip of death Luke 8:48-56 And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace. 49 While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the synagogue’s house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master. 50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole. 51 And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James, and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden. 52 And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth. 53 And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead. 54 And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise. 55 And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat. 56 And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done. (KJV)
- The One who calmed fearful hearts John 6:19-20 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid. 20 But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid. (KJV)
- The One who sustains the universe Colossians 1:15-17 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. (KJV)
- The One who accomplished our eternal redemption Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; (KJV)
- He who controlled the elements, commands demons and declares He is the only One who determines each of our destinies! He said it, so I believe Him! What are the other proofs?
- Because of the unshakeable conviction of the APOSTLES & PROPHETS: Because all the writers said so thousands of times. They were totally convinced that they were sharing words that were not originating with them. They said 3800 times “thus saith the Lord”.
- SUPERNATURAL ENDURING and SURVIVAL: Because of its endurance through the ages, despite being the target of empires, armies and infidels the Bible stands like a rock undaunted through the raging storms of time. Its pages burn with the truth eternal and they glow with a light divine. The Bible stands though the hills may tumble it will firmly stand though the earth may crumble. I will take my stand on its firm foundation for the Bible stands!
- ABSOLUTE DIVINE UNITY: Because of its incredible unity demonstrated in the fact that from 40 plus men on 3 continents over 1,600 years and 60 generations comes one unmistakeable fabric woven from prison to palace, desert to dungeon, hillside to holy places. There is one common denominator, one shared theme and one united message. There is but one system of doctrine, one system of ethics, one plan of salvation and one rule of faith. One King and one Kingdom and one entrance into His presence!
- SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY: Because of its scientific accuracy in every realm, Genesis is foundational to all we know in life, origins, purpose and destiny. Then week #5 was creation as recorded by the Word of God! In every science it is absolutely accurate: astronomy, geology, hydrology, oceanography, isostasy, and so on!
- PROPHETIC ACCURACY: Because of its fulfilled prophecy, the Bible is proven itself to be true. Just for an example let me share some of the Scriptures that surround the life of Christ that are quite well known.Isaiah 41:23 and HISTORICAL ACCURACY: Because of its archaeological verification (Criswell)
- TRANSFORMING POWER! The Bible of all books in the world has the power to change your life. Other books change your opinion on matters. Only God’s book can cause you to have a new nature, a new heart, a new spirit, true peace and true love. That is all only from the Scriptures.
In summary, what are the seven proofs that verify the scriptures?
- JESUS BELIEVED THE SCRIPTURES
2. APOSTLES & PROPHETS BELIEVED THE SCRIPTURES
3. SUPERNATURAL ENDURING and SURVIVAL OF THE SCRIPTURES
4. ABSOLUTE DIVINE UNITY OF THE SCRIPTURES
5. SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY OF THE SCRIPTURES
6. PROPHETIC ACCURACY and HISTORICAL ACCURACY OF THE SCRIPTURES
7. TRANSFORMING POWER OF THE SCRIPTURES ! The Bible of all books in the world has the power to change your life. Other books change your opinion on matters. Only God’s book can cause you to have a new nature, a new heart, a new spirit, true peace, and true love. That is all only from the Scriptures.
How Do the Scriptures Change Me?
In one place, in the Bible, the powerful Scriptures are most clearly displayed. In six masterful strokes the eternal author etches his character and sufficiency toward us. We are introduced in this passage to the first of six synonyms for the Word of God. In fact there are three sets of truths:
- There are Six TITLES given for the WORD: law, testimonies, statutes, commandments, fear, judgments.
- There are Six ATTRIBUTES given for the WORD: perfect law, sure testimonies, right statutes, pure commandments, clean fear, true judgments.
- There are Six EFFECTS given for the WORD: perfect law restores, sure testimonies makes wise, right statutes rejoice, pure commandments enlightens, clean fear endures, true judgments vindicates.
All of these reveal the Word in a whole new, powerful and refreshing way.
- They give us God’s purpose and plan for His Word.
- They are His review on this new product He has manufactured.
- They give us the operator’s manual for this new high powered instrument.
- THE DIVINE TEACHER: God’s truth that totally transforms
- THE DIVINE WITNESS: God’s testimony absolutely trustworthy
- THE DIVINE DIRECTIONS: God’s statutes giving directions to only secure place in the universe
- THE DIVINE DECREES: God’s commands giving a clear portrait of God’s non-optional absolutes
- THE DIVINE CONDITION: fearing God, lovingly acknowledging by my actions God sees me
- THE DIVINE DECISIONS: God’s judgments, His final word on everything! Non-negotiable living.
Turn with me to Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (KJV) Here God tells us that His Word is to be our TEACHER, the Word is identified as a DIVINE TEACHING. God says, “In my Book I give rules for living!”
What God is saying is that if you were a castaway on a desolate island somewhere and only had a Bible, you could see the utter transformation of a society and the people of that society by the proclamation and reception of the WORD. No other books, ministries, schools, clinics, counselors, support groups, or media needed! Witness the work of Jonah in pagan Ninevah!
So we are focusing on the Power of Scripture. We need to see three things in this study:
- What does God claim His Word can do?
- What changes take place when we let Him work in our life?
- How does God define the role His Word is to have in our life? And that will be the marvelous six fold portrait of the Scriptures in Psalm 19.
Seven Reasons Why I Should Study God’s Word
The Bible is Powerful, so there are Seven Reasons to Study God’s Word.
- IT’S GOD’S BIOPSY: A DIVINE REVEALER— It discovers and convicts us of sin in our lives
John 16:7-10 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; (KJV)
- IT’S GOD’S SURGERY: A DIVINE REMOVER– Through it God’s Spirit cleanses us from sin
John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. Hebrews 9:14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. (KJV)
- IT’S GOD’S THERAPY: A DIVINE RESTORER– It imparts strength to our spiritual man
Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. (KJV)
- IT’S GOD’S PRESCRIPTION: A DIVINE REMINDER– It instructs us in going God’s way
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (KJV)
- IT’S GOD’S ANTIBIOTICS: A DIVINE RESISTER– It provides us a sword for victory over sin and temptations
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (KJV)
6. IT’S GOD’S EXERCISE PROGRAM: A DIVINE REFINER — It shapes us into a life that glorifies Him
1 Peter 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. (KJV)
7. IT’S GOD’S HEALTH SPA: A DIVINE REVIVER — It drives us to prayerful dependence
Psalm 119:25 My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word. (KJV)
John 15:7-8 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. (KJV)
So THIS INDISPUTABLY proven book when taken by faith is powerful. This morning the question is do you let it change your life?
- Do you read the Word daily?
- Do you eat it by memorization?
- Do you seek God in His Word first? Or second after the newspaper, TV and so on?
- You can test your spiritual temperature by the entry level we give the Word in our daily life!
- Our Amazing World of Nature, Readers digest Books, 1969, pp. 261-63.2. Henry Morris, 9/96, Back to Genesis #93.
3. Billy Graham, APPROACHING HOOFBEATS, p. 13-14., 1954, R.B. Munger.
4. Mark Syverud,Daily Messenger, (August 13, 1995).
5. The Bulletin, Bend, OR (4/4/96), A-8.
6. The Berean Call, 8/96.
7. World’s Last Mysteries, Readers Digest Books, p.
8. Who moved the Stone?
9. Exploring Our Living Planet, NGB, p. 39>
10. Exploring, p. 30.