Demon Intrusion-Why God Flooded
Satan the Adversary has tried to mess up God’s plan over and over. There are at least 7 times He tried to do so.
1. He tempted and led to sin Adam & Eve in Genesis 3. But God promised a seed. A deliverer who would redeem humanity.
2. He incited self-righteous Cain to kill faith-righteous Abel in Genesis 4. 3. In our text this morning Genesis 6, he tried to corrupt the entire race, and thus erase the promised seed. 4. When God singled out Israel and Moses as the deliverer he tried to get Moses out of the way by riches, then murder then pride, etc. 5. Satan then tried to get God to destroy Israel with the golden calf, Exodus 32-24. 6. He then tried to defile Israel with intermarriage with Midianite women in Numbers 25. 7. Finally he tried to murder Christ in Nazareth, then Jerusalem and finally through Judas.
You see the Lord has planned to pour out His wrath against sin two times on earth. First at the Flood secondly at the Tribulation. Both are fantastic pictures of His Grace. In the flood times God sent Enoch a preaching prophet who told the world;
Jude 14-15 Now Enoch, the 7th from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 “to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.” (NKJV)
Noah presents an interesting picture of Christ in His work of redemption. Noah’s name means “rest” (see Genesis 5:29 He named him Noah and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the LORD has cursed.” (NIV), and Christ brings us rest Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (NIV), and redeems us from the curse Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” (NIV).
Noah and Enoch together represent Israel and the Church.
1. Noah went through the judgment and was kept safe, just as the 144,000 and the Jewish remnant will go through the tribulation to establish the Kingdom on the earth. 2. Enoch was raptured before the judgment came (5-21-24, Heb. 11:5), just as the Church will be raptured before the wrath of God is poured out upon the world.
THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PROPHETICALLY THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PROPHETICALLY THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PROPHETICALLY THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PROPHETICALLY
THE DOWNWARD SLIDE: Christ teaches that the days before the rapture and the tribulation will be like the days of Noah Luke 17:26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. (NIV), Matthew 24:37-39 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. (NIV). We are living in the “days of Noah” today!
• HUMANS CONTAMINATED Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every intent of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually. (NKJV) • DEMONS RAMPANT Mankind had become largely demon possessed. I believe the “sons of God” who came down and cohabited with the “daughters of men” (Gen. 6:2) were fallen angels, demons (cf. 1 Pet. 3:19-20). Because of this cohabitation, the fallen race fell even further. The evil of man’s own nature was compounded, and it became too much for the Lord to bear. Judgment had to come. Donald Barnhouse said, “Hell is as much a part of the love story as God in heaven is.” Righteousness and sin cannot coexist. God cannot establish righteousness until sin is destroyed.
THE DEMON INTRUSION OF GENESIS 6 THE DEMON INTRUSION OF GENESIS 6 THE DEMON INTRUSION OF GENESIS 6 THE DEMON INTRUSION OF GENESIS 6
THE PURPOSE OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every intent of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually. (NKJV) THE NATURE OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION Jude 6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; (NKJV) THE TIMING OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION 1 Peter 3:19-20 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while [the] ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. (NKJV) THE RESULT OF THIS DEMON INTRUSION 2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast [them] down to hell and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; (NKJV) THE PARALLEL TO THIS DEMON INTRUSION IN THE TRIBULATION The character of the last generation that precipitates God’s intervention is seen in Revelation 9:20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. (NKJV). THE WARNING OF DEMON INTRUSION Paul described the drift toward demons as part of the end time last days 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, MINISTRY IN TIMES OF DEMON INTRUSION MINISTRY IN TIMES OF DEMON INTRUSION MINISTRY IN TIMES OF DEMON INTRUSION MINISTRY IN TIMES OF DEMON INTRUSION
• Enoch preached Jude 14-15 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 “to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.” (NKJV) • Noah preached 2 Peter 2:5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, [one of] eight [people,] a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly; (NKJV) his job was to warn the people of his time that God would soon judge them because of their wickedness and unbelief. They had had the same opportunity to
know God and His will as had Noah. The difference between Noah and everyone around him was not a difference in the amount of light but a difference in response to it. • God waited As always, the Lord’s judgment was tempered by His mercy. He is never happy with judgment, no matter how deserved. God was “grieved in His heart” (Gen. 6:6) about man’s wickedness and the fact that he would have to be judged so severely. He allowed 120 years for the people to be warned and to repent, thereby staying the judgment (6:3). Actually a type of warning was given when Noah was born, 500 years before he started the ark. As he was being named, his father, Lamech, said, “This one shall give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands arising from the ground which the Lord has cursed” (Gen. 5:29). And then, while God had Noah build the ark-a dramatic picture of the coming Flood-He also had Noah witness to the people, warning them. “The patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark” (1 Pet. 3:20). In other words, at the same time He was preparing judgment He was also preparing a way of escape.
THE LINE ENDANGERED THE LINE ENDANGERED THE LINE ENDANGERED THE LINE ENDANGERED
We see the multiplication of people in the “population explosion.”
• Genesis 6:1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, (NKJV);
We see the multiplication of violence.
• Genesis 6:11-13 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 So God looked upon the earth, and indeed it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth. 13 And God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the earth. (NKJV)
Humanity was advanced from the start! Note the expansion of arts and industry.
• Genesis 4:16-22 Then Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and dwelt in the land of Nod on the east of Eden. 17 And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son — Enoch. 18 To Enoch was born Irad; and Irad begot Mehujael, and Mehujael begot Methushael, and Methushael begot Lamech. 19 Then Lamech took for himself two wives: the name of one [was] Adah, and the name of the second [was] Zillah. 20 And Adah bore Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock .21 His brother’s name [was] Jubal. He was the father of all those who play the harp and flute . 22 And as for Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron . And the sister of TubalCain [was] Naamah. (NKJV)
We see the multiplication of a lack of conscience, even for murder. Genesis 4:23-24 Then Lamech said to his wives: “Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; Wives of Lamech, listen to my speech! For I have killed a man for wounding me, Even a young man for hurting me. 24 If Cain
shall be avenged sevenfold, then Lamech demon intrusion-sevenfold.” (NKJV)
We can see true believers are in a minority.
• Genesis 6:10 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. (NKJV)
THE GOOD NEWS THE GOOD NEWS THE GOOD NEWS THE GOOD NEWS
• THE UPWARD LOOK: But keep in mind that “than days of Noah” were also days of witness. In fact, God had told Enoch that judgment was coming, and he preached to the people Jude 14-15 Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” (NIV) In fact, Enoch named his son Methuselah, which means “when he dies, it shall be sent”; that is, the judgment would come after Methuselah is dead. He was born in the year 687 and lived 969 years. He died in the year 1656 – the very year the flood came! In other words, God gave the wicked world 969 years of grace, and for the last 120 years of that period, Noah was preaching and preparing the ark (Genesis 6:3 Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.” (NIV); 1 Peter 3:20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water. (NIV) • THE INWARD NEED: Today, God warns men that judgment is coming (II Pt. 3 – fire, not water); but few listen, and even fewer believe.
THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PRACTICALLY THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PRACTICALLY THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PRACTICALLY THE FLOOD CONSIDERED PRACTICALLY
• GOD ALWAYS PUNISHES SIN: God must punish sin. There must be death to the old before He can establish the new. • GOD ALWAYS WARNS SINNERS: God gives man warnings but eventually His patience ends and judgment comes. • GOD ALWAYS SAVES BY GRACE: God has always saved people the same way: by grace Genesis 6:8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. (NIV) through faith Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith. (NIV) • GOD ALWAYS EXPECTS OBEDIENCE: True faith, always brings active obedience (Genesis 6:22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him. (NIV) Genesis 7:5 And Noah did all that the LORD commanded him. (NIV) • GOD ALWAYS EXPECTS SEPARATION. 1 John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that [is] in the world — the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. (NKJV) It was difficult for
Noah and his family to remain separated in such a wicked world, but God helped them, and God rewarded them.
THE LESSONS OF THE FLOOD THE LESSONS OF THE FLOOD THE LESSONS OF THE FLOOD THE LESSONS OF THE FLOOD
The Depth of the Sin of Mankind Reminds us we are sinners
The Incredible Deafness to the Message Warns us to Listen because we lack sensitivity.
The Great Response of Noah Challenges our Availability
A Second Chance for Mankind Offers Hope for All to be pure and new!
What What What What Can Can Can Can W WW We ee e L LL Learn? earn? earn? earn?
1. God is HOLY, He will judge sin. Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (NIV) 2. God is LOVING, He will seek out individuals. Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.” (NIV) 3. God is GRACIOUS, He will transform fallen sinners 1 Peter 5:5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (NIV)
What What What What S SS Should hould hould hould W WW We ee e L LL Learn from earn from earn from earn from T TT This? his? his? his? Note Peter’s words in II Peter 3
• KEEP ALERT: This should encourage a Godly life; live Christly v. 10-11 • BUILD FIREPROOF: This should discourage materialism and encourage us to live expectantly v. 12-13 • LOOK UP: This should develop an expectant Life; live purely v. 14 • STUDY THE BOOK: This should help us to guard our heart and encourage us to live maturely v. 17 • OBEY JESUS: This should encourage us to grow spiritually and to live growingly v. 18