One thing you can be sure of—God keeps His Word.
You can count on Him, trust Him, and believe His Word. We have been looking at the future for the last few weeks in our Prophetic Series What’s Next. But this morning, as we remember Palm Sunday we are assured that God will keep His Word about the future. How do we know that for certain? Because He has kept His Word so perfectly and exactly in the past!
What chapter have we been studying for several weeks now? Matthew 24. As we have looked at doomsday for planet earth in verse after verse of Matthew 24, have you ever wondered what the context of that passage is? When in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ did that incredible prophetic look into the future occur?
To find out, please open with me to Palm Sunday in Christ’s life in Matthew 21. We find Palm Sunday in all four Gospels (Matthew 21; Mark 11; Luke 19; John 12). But our reading this morning will be Matthew 21:1-11.
If you read closely the events of Matthew 21 you find that two days later Jesus is sitting on the side of the Mount of Olives describing the future of the world to His disciples. Sunday was Christ’s triumphal entry and two days later was His sober reporting of what was coming.
We could say all that this way–Palm Sunday was followed by Doomsday Tuesday.
Yes, just two days after this Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem Jesus saw and described the destruction coming in the near and far future.
In fact, in each of the synoptic Gospels, as soon as the dust has settled from the Palm branch strewn road to Jerusalem, Christ is talking about things to come. Note what Matthew records after our text this morning. Palm Sunday is Matthew 21:1-11. Look at:
1. Matthew 21:41 They said to Him, “He will destroy those wicked men miserably, and lease [his] vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to him the fruits in their seasons.” (NKJV)
2. Matthew 22:13 “Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ (NKJV)
3. Matthew 23:33 “Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? (NKJV)
4. Matthew 24:51 “and will cut him in two and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (NKJV)
5. Matthew 25:30 ‘And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ (NKJV)
The application of Palm Sunday is clear.
He repeats it over and over—if you do now bow to me as the Lamb of God for sinner slain, then you face inescapable judgment. I the Christ am returning and will Judge sinners who have not repented and bowed to me!
The context of Matthew 24 and the end of the world is Matthew 21 and the Palm Sunday entry of Jesus.
Follow Discover the Book Ministries to stay up to date:
Traditional Books: https://tinyurl.com/y4xgz9rb
Audio CDs: https://tinyurl.com/y5nnj3eu
Donate to the ministry: https://discoverthebook.org/donations/partnership/
PayPal QuickLink: https://paypal.me/JohnandBonnieDTBM?locale.x=en_US
For more of Dr. John Barnett’s Bible teaching messages go to: https://discoverthebook.org/