THE FIRST FIVE BOOKS OF MOSES ARE THE PENTATEUCH
The Pentateuch is the designation for those first five OT books. Moses was the author of all of these crucial books. We are sure of that because Jesus said so in His ministry here on earth. The five books lay a foundation for the rest of the Word of God. Note with me the unifying theme each book is built around: Genesis “Calling into Being”; Exodus “Calling out of Bondage”; Leviticus “Calling unto Consecration”; Numbers “Calling from Confusion”; Deuteronomy “Calling back to the Covenant”.
The Book of Genesis [Greek for ‘origin, source or beginning’] starts with the Hebrew word bereshith which means ‘in the head of all things’. This speaks of the absolute beginning, before which is nothing as we know it — but God in Three Persons. This book introduces in the first eleven chapters, most of the major doctrines of Christianity. These are, the Doctrines of: God, creation, man, sin and the coming redeemer, divine love, judgment, consequences of sin, fellowship with the Creator God, worship and the family. These ten areas are enlarged upon throughout the Scriptures.
Note the starting points for each of these Doctrines, as they weave through the Word of God.
- GOD [1:1] Elohim is a plural noun followed by a singular verb which emphasizes monotheism and trinity. The first words of Genesis dispel any notion of the following errors: 1. Atheism ‘In the beginning God’; 2. Polytheism ‘God’; 3. Materialism [belief that matter is eternal] ‘created heaven and earth’; 4. Pantheism [which makes God and the universe identical] ‘God created heaven and earth’; 5. Fatalism [the doctrine of chance] ‘God created’.
- CREATION is described using four words: a.) bara [1:1, 21, 27; 2:4] which is God “making something from nothing”; b.) asah [1:16, 25, 26; 2:2] which denotes “making something from materials already created”; c.) yatsar [2:7, 19] is a beautiful word for “fashioning, making as a potter, man from the dust of the earth”; d.) banah [2:22] means “to build”.
- MAN was created in perfection [1:26-31]; falls into sin [3:1-8]; alienated from God and cursed [3:9-19]; driven from intimacy with God [3:20-24].
- SIN AND THE COMING REDEEMER is first dealt with in the protoevangelium [3:15]; and enlarged in the Coming One [49:10]. The TYPES [ a historical fact that illustrates a spiritual truth] of Christ are many: Adam [both entered the world sinless and as head of creations], Abel [blood sacrifice and murder]; Melchisadek [Righteous King, King of Peace]; Joseph [loved by their fathers, betrayed by their brothers].
- DIVINE LOVE is seen in the God who seeks out fallen man [3:9]; rescues Noah [6-8].
- JUDGMENT is upon mankind [3:14-19]; Cain [4:9-15]; the godless world [6-8]; the idolatrous nations [11:1-9].
- CONSEQUENCES OF SIN are pain and strife [3:16]; hardship in labor [3:19]; murder [4:8]; death [5:5].
- FELLOWSHIP WITH THE CREATOR GOD perfect in the Garden [3:8]; broken and offered restoration through blood sacrifices [3:21; 4:4] and covenants [9:13] which become the Scarlet Thread of Redemption as Hebrews 9:22 speaks of.
- WORSHIP is tied to sacrifice and obedience [4:1-7].
- THE FAMILY is started by God [2:18-25] and corrupted by sinful humanity as in polygamy [4:19], homosexuality ; rape ; incest and prostitution .
The book of Genesis covers more time than all the rest of the Bible. Genesis starts at Creation [at least 4000 BC] and continues to the death of Joseph [1915-1805BC], which is about 2,195 years. The rest of the Bible is covering about 1,900 years, from 1805BC to AD 95. The entire book revolves around Four Great Events and Four Great People.
- The EVENTS are: The Creation [1-2], The Fall [3-5], The Flood [6-8] and the Tower at Babel [10-11:9].
- The PEOPLE are: Abraham [11:10-25:18] whose life is one of faith and failure, covenant and promise. Isaac [25:19-26:35] who is a link for the covenant. Jacob [27:1-36:43] a man God transforms and who fathers the Twelve Tribes. Joseph [37-50] who is a tool in God’s hand.
Genesis starts what Revelation Finishes
|Creation heavens and earth 1:1||A New Creation of both 21:1|
|Earth Created 1:1||Earth passes away 21:1|
|Light created 1:3||Christ is the Light 21:23|
|Night instituted 1:4||No Night 21:25|
|Sun and moon placed 1:16||Not needed 21:23|
|First rest 2:2||Final rest 14:13|
|The River 2:10||River of Life 22:1|
|Eden 2:8||Paradise 2:7|
|Servants appointed 2:15||Servants serving 22:3|
|Death 2:17||No more death 21:4|
|First Warning 2:17||Last Warning 22:19|
|First marriage 2:18-25||Last Marriage 21:9|
|Satan appears 3:1||Satan stopped 20:10|
|Sin starts 3:6||Sin ends 20:14-15|
|God’s face hidden 3:8, 24||See His face 22:4|
|Gates shut 3:24||Gates open 21:25|
|Curse 3:16-24||No more Curse 22:3|
|Pain 3:16||No pain 21:4|
|Sorrow and tears 21:16||Tears stop 21:4|
|Judgment promised 3:15-24||Judgment executed 20:13|
|Tree of Life 3:22||Tree 22:2, Book 20:12 & Water 21:6 of Life|
|Paradise Lost 3:23||Paradise Regained 22:14|
|City of Man 4:17||City of God 21:2|
|First murder 4:8; polygamist 4:19; liar, rebel; drunkard…||Doom of all such 21:8|
|Babylon starts 10:9-10||Babylon ends 18:2|
|Jerusalem 14:18||New Jerusalem 21:2|
|Twelve Sons 30:1-19||Twelve Tribes 21:12|
LESSONS FROM THE BOOK OF GENESIS
From Genesis we can learn some great lessons to live by. To close look at just two events and the practical application of both.
The Facts of the Fall
- The Search by God of the fallen: God wants Voluntary Worship
- Availability of God before the Fall: God wants Personal Fellowship
- The Promise of God: God wants to Save us
The Lessons of the Fall
- Eve’s Choice: Our vulnerability to Temptation
- Adam and Eve’s Fall: Our susceptibility to do our own thing, thus self-rule.
- Adam and Eve’s Response: Our inability to accept responsibility, blame shifting.
The Facts of the Flood
- The Heart of God: He Grieves for Fallen Man
- The Wrath of God: He Destroys by Holy Judgment
- The Love of God: He Saves by Sovereign Choice
- The Truth of God: He Reminds by Divine Revelation
The Lessons of the Flood
- The Sin of Mankind: Reminds us we are sinners
- Deafness to the Message: Warns us to Listen
- Response of Noah: Challenges our Availability
- Second Chance for Mankind: Offers Hope for All
The Lessons of the Book of GENESIS:
- God is HOLY, He will judge sin – Gal. 6:7
- God is LOVING, He will seek out individuals – Luke 19:10
- God is GRACIOUS, He will transform fallen sinners – First Peter 5:5