Mining the Word for Key Counseling Verses
Over the past four months we have been working on daily homework to sharpen our Biblical Counseling & Discipleship skills. One of these has been doing devotional studies on verses we choose from each week’s lesson work. The further we get into the course, the more frequently we will notice repeated passages.
Tonight’s study is how to deepen the impact of those repeated verses, and transform them into our arsenal for deploying the Sword of the Spirit. Let me show you how.
Each week as we go through the study if you come across a verse you have previously studied in a past chapter, note that verse passage and write down a quick summary of what lessons, insights, or applications that portion taught you. Here are mine for just this week:
BCF, p. 64
- Proverbs 14:19 NOTICE THIS IN BEHAVIOR: Fools Mock at sin.
- Proverbs 21:2 REMEMBER THIS AS LISTEN: Everyone right in own eyes; Lord weighs hearts
- Isaiah 5:20-21 NOTICE THIS IN BEHAVIOR: Woe to those who call good/evil and evil/good
- 2 Tim. 3:1-5 REMEMBER THIS AS LISTEN: Last days perilous (stressful) times of: lovers self, money; boasters; proud; blasphemers; disobedient parents…
BCF, p. 65
- Romans 1:28-32 REMIND PEOPLE GOD SAYS: not like retain God in mind; debased mind; list of things not “fitting”…
- 1 Cor. 2:14 REMEMBER: natural (lost) not receive things of God.
BCF, p. 68
- 10:38-39 BELIEVERS ARE INSTRUCTED THAT IN GOD’S ACCOUNTING OF LIFE: take up Cross and follow = worthy; find life = loses life; loses life for Christ = saves life.
- Luke 9:23-24 BELIEVERS ARE INSTRUCTED THAT IN GOD’S ACCOUNTING OF LIFE: if come after Christ = deny self, take up cross; desires save life = loses life; loses life for Me = saves life.
- Romans 5:6-21 BELIEVERS ARE INSTRUCTED THAT IN GOD’S ACCOUNTING OF LIFE: Justifying death of Christ imputes Christ’s righteousness to me.
Home work: finish Lesson 4 studies; review verses; start learning 1 Cor. 10:13
Next meeting: January 9, for the introduction of Lesson 5