To our dear small groupers, here is this week’s class. Bonnie & I are in the midst of teaching classes each day on how to correctly understand and apply the Scriptures. Thanks for your faithful prayers that uphold us. We heard from a student this week that told us that after all these years of “going to church” he started studying the Bible with us, and has now been born-again. Each of you that help us as we serve to make all this possible, so you are part of this man’s coming to Christ. Rejoice with us and pray for many more. Here’s our next of the greatest chapter lessons.
Praying for you this week as you study and grow with us in the Word!
They held the Holy revelation of God’s Word. Most people could not afford a personal copy of God’s Word—but these men were surrounded by mountains of scrolls. They were read, they were discussed, they were copied, and they were stored everywhere around them.
What was wrong with all this? They only held God’s Word in their hands – not in their hearts. God was only near in their mouths – and not in their hearts.
Yet all that exposure to God ended up only in their head, not in their hearts. They did not choose to let those truths invade and take over their hearts and wills. The spiritual skin of their lives, overexposed to the Light of God’s truth, had developed the deadliest cancer of all – spiritual indifference.
They cared not for God.
They loved not the Lord.
They longed not to know and worship Him.
Look at Christ’s words about them.
Matthew 15:8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.Lesson Reminders:
1-We need to beware of overfamiliarity with the wonders of Christ (like those “Sacred Triangle” cites).
2-We need to regularly ask God for a fresh dose of Christ’s compassion (Col. 3:12-14)
Who were these priests and scribes? Most likely the priests were descendants of Aaron and Zadok and the scribes were descendants of Ezra the scribe.
Just to see the character of these men look with me at Ezra 7:10. For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel.
What a wonderful example of the devotion of Ezra to God’s Word in Zacharias” life. But by Christ’s time, this personal devotion in a religious professional was rare. Genuine devotion for the Lord had waned for the most part. The indifferent and Christ neglecting Religious Leaders are such a warning to us today. Think of all the opportunities these religious professionals had to get close to God.
They lived in the presence of God. Old Testament Worship centered around the Tabernacle and then the Temple. The divinely designed liturgy was carried on for 1,500 nearly unbroken years in the way Moses was told by God to do it on Mt. Sinai.
They saw all day long the symbols and pictures of salvation. The epicenter of that worship was the Holy Place.
Scripture records forty parables—simple stories—that Christ spoke in the latter part of His public ministry. Yes, the parables are all about the gospel and nothing but the Gospel. The 40 parables are ONLY in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. They are confined to the ministry of Jesus Christ because they are acts of divine judgment in relation to listening to the Savior explain salvation, which only He can render.
Here are links to the 52 Greatest Chapters Bible Study Resources we are using:
1. The MacArthur Study Bible I use: https://amzn.to/33vqwsm
2. Grudem Systematic Theology: https://amzn.to/3y1M1iu
3. The Best Cross-Reference Guide to the Bible: https://amzn.to/3vtFqLU
4. Here are the Navigator Verse Cards that Bonnie & I use: https://amzn.to/3wCWvDv
5. The ESV Audio Bible: https://amzn.to/3bJ4WF5
6. The NKJV Audio/Dramatized Bible: https://amzn.to/3u4BqA3
7. The KJV Audio Bible: https://amzn.to/3hHEnny
8. The NIV Dramatized Bible: https://amzn.to/2RD1Uvf
9. The Larger Moleskin Notebook I use: https://amzn.to/3biMwLh
10. The Smaller Moleskin Notebook I use: https://amzn.to/33vTNmN
11. This is the personal-sized Bible I take with me everywhere as I travel, and that you see in the videos: https://amzn.to/3tM11ha
12. These are the Bible Tabs I showed you on the videos: https://amzn.to/3boMDVt
13. This is the Daily Bible that Bonnie & I read from for 15 minutes each day so we as a couple go through the Bible once each year: https://amzn.to/3ucDFl6
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn income to support us in ministry from qualifying purchases.”
Join the LAND OF THE BOOK channel to get access to weekly video releases over the next year totaling 50+ EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS that feature weekly in-depth Bible Study lessons with John & Bonnie. Plus all the assigned HOLY LAND STUDY RESOURCES, and John’s two most loved books–David’s Spiritual Secret & Living Hope for the End of Days at: