GOD’S WAY OF SALVATION IN
When the back side of the desert Moses stepped into the lush green gardens leading up to Pharaoh’s palaces – it must have been a sight. Clad only in his shepherds rough and outdoor garb with that distinct odor sheep give off, he was in stark contrast to the white linen clad, closely shaven and often bathed priest rulers who hovered over Pharaoh like bees around their queen.
Ancient Egypt at its Zenith fifteen centuries before Christ was awesome. The glistening Pyramids sheathed in snowy alabaster with gold reflecting the desert sun, were already over a thousand years old. They massively stood against time, towering ominously over this proud and powerful people.
The ‘God-Kings” or Pharaohs as we call them, were sons of Khnum, descendants of RA and the bearers of divinity to the masses. Astride the Mighty Nile, Egypt knew prosperity, fertile and productive agriculture and great peace.
But, a nation had grown up in their midst for 400 years. It had started with just an old man and his twelve boys. Jacob and his twelve sons, his daughters and their families had flourished. In Goshen they now numbered nearly three million. As God had promised to his grandfather Abraham, his descendants would be as numberless as the sands of the sea. From one man to three million is a vast multiplication. And so, the stage is set:
THE GREATEST ANCIENT EMPIRE: EGYPT
THE ENSLAVED PEOPLE OF GOD: ISRAEL
But, it was even more than that. It was also:
|God’s People||vs.||Satan’s People|
|God’s Promise||vs.||The Curse|
|God’s Power||vs.||The Kingdom of Darkness|
|Two eighty year old men||vs.||Pharaoh, his armies and the entire religion of Egypt|
|Shy Moses||vs.||Proud Pharaoh|
|The Whole Plan of God for Redemption||vs.||The Whole Plan of Satan for Rebellion|
- These were the Covenant People,
- These were the Bearers of God’s Promises,
- These were the Vehicle of God’s Written revelation, and, Ultimately,
- These were the only way Christ could come in God’s plan!
The Jews were and are so important in God’s plan. And so in about the year 1445/46 BC God told Moses to GO. And that is where we start this evening. In lightning fast flashes, we have a succession of TEN POWERFUL imprints upon the fabric of Egyptian Society. A land of mystery and false worship of false gods — brought face to face with the TRUE God of the UNIVERSE. Turn to Exodus 6:1-7; 7:3
One cannot help but be awed by the splendor of the ancient Egyptian temples. Even the remains of many merely represent the fragments of past glory, the crumbling ruins are a testimony to the splendor that Egypt once enjoyed. The multitude of shrines, inscriptions and religious objects are a constant reminder as are the massive temples and tombs now in ruins are so vivid a reminder that the grandeur of it all must have been marvelous. However, the myriads of statues that now adorn the museums of the world found in excavations are a grim reminder of the folly of their idolatry. To think those people feared and followed these lifeless gods when faced with the Living and True God of the Universe is tragic, eternally tragic.
The 2nd Book of God’s Word is our study tonight. The Book of Exodus continues the incredible story of God’s desires for us His creations. Please turn there with me as we uncover within these pages the wonders of Jesus Christ. He is perfectly all we need.
- Exodus 1-18: God Reveals His Way Of Salvation. = out of the world. Divine Redemption Has Jesus As Its Perfect Redeemer. God Shows The Way Out… Of Bondage Into Freedom. God Is Showing He Is Powerful.
- Exodus 19-23: God Reveals His Way Of Sanctification. = under the word. Divine Morality Has Jesus As Its Perfect Example. The Way Out… Of Ignorance Into God’s Law And Program. God Is Showing He Is Holy.
- Exodus 24-40: God Reveals His Way Of Worship. = unto worship. Divine Worship Has Jesus As Its Perfect Focus. The Way Out…Of The World Into God’s Presence. God Is Showing He Is Knowable.
God reveals his way of salvation. Divine Redemption Has Jesus As Its Perfect Redeemer. God Shows The Way Out. . .Of Bondage Into Freedom. (Exodus 1-18). God Is Showing He Is Powerful.
- God KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS THE Bitterness of Life (1)
- God PROVIDES A Deliverer (Exodus 2) Moses’ 1st 40 years in Pharaoh’s palace. Christ was like Moses in His life.
Christ is superior to Moses.
- God sends HIS SERVANTS (Exodus 3-6)
- God chooses Moses (3:1-12) Moses’ 2nd40 years in the desert of Midian.
- God reveals His Name of Names in the bush (3:13-22) SEVEN I AM’S OF CHRIST in JOHN.John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” NKJV This is the ultimate statement of being the only foundation, cause and purpose for life. Now in John’s Gospel, seven times Jesus said I AM THE. These seven can be stated another way:
- BREAD OF LIFE (6:35) – He sustains us, apart from Him is only unsatisfied hunger.
- LIGHT OF WORLD (8:l2) – He illumines us, apart from Him is only impenetrable darkness.
- DOOR OF SHEEP (l0:7,9) – He admits us to life, apart from Him is only hopeless exclusion.
- GOOD SHEPHERD (l0:ll) – He cares for us, apart from Him is only aimless wandering.
- RESURRECTION AND LIFE (ll:25) – He provides us life, apart from Him is only endless dying.
- WAY, TRUTH & LIFE (l4:6) – He guides us, apart from Him is only endless lostness.
- TRUE VINE (l5:l) – He makes us productive, apart from Him is only continual withering.
- God challenges Moses (3:23-6:30) to start the last 40 years in God’s service by offering God’s First Challenge to Pharaoh (4:27-31; 5:1-23; 6:1); God’s plan is to deliver Israel On Eagles’ Wings (6:2-9;see 19:4); God’s Second Challenge to Pharaoh (6:10-30; 7:1-13)
- God DEFEATS HIS ENEMIES (Exodus 7-11)
- River of Blood (Exodus 7)
- The Finger of God (Exodus 8)
- Then the Gods Were Silent (Exodus 9-10)
- An Ordinance Forever (Exodus 11)
In each of the ten plagues, The Lord showed the gods of Egypt were all impotent. Remember the Ten plagues? Lets examine the PLAGUES in the light of the worship of all the Egyptian gods. The captors of the captive Jews were proud of their false worship and GOD is about to humble them.
NILE PLAGUE [7:14-25] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: When God allowed Moses to turn the Nile to blood it was a catastrophe of greatest magnitude. This is because the Nile was so vital to Egyptian life. It was guarded by the feared god, Khnum at its sources. It was inhabited by the spirit of HAPI, and was the bloodstream of the most revered of all the gods – OSIRUS, god of the underworld. Also those who worshiped the NEITH the goddess of war would have noticed her inability to protect her children the lates [large fish] of the Nile which died in the plague. HATHOR protected a smaller fish the chromis, which also died.
THE REASON WHY: This plague was an unmistakable message. It was to drive a wooden stake into the very heart of the worship of Egypt. Simply stated, God is powerful and you are impotent.
- Only God controls the after life so OSIRUS was hit. God is very concerned that mankind knows the true JUDGE OF DESTINY.
- God is the spirit of creation so HAPI was hit.
- Only God came watch over and protect people securely so NEITH was hit. GOD wants all to know He alone is the ROCK OF SECURITY.
- Most of all: that all the world would know God rules!
- Joshua 4:24 “that all the peoples of the earth may know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty, that you may fear the Lord your God forever.”
- 1 Samuel 17:46 “This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
- 1 Kings 18:37 “Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You are the Lord God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again.”
- 2 Kings 19:19 “Now therefore, O Lord our God, I pray, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You are the Lord God, You alone.”
- 2 Chronicles 6:33 “then hear from heaven Your dwelling place, and do according to all for which the foreigner calls to You, that all peoples of the earth may know Your name and fear You, as do Your people Israel, and that they may know that this temple which I have built is called by Your name.
- Daniel 4:17 ‘This decision is by the decree of the watchers, And the sentence by the word of the holy ones, In order that the living may know That the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, Gives it to whomever He will, And sets over it the lowest of men.’
FROG PLAGUE [8:1-15] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: Like a blanket of filth, the slimy wet monstrosities covered the land until men sickened at the continued squashing crunch of the ghastly pavement they were forced to walk upon. If a mans feet slipped on the greasy mass of their crushed bodies, he fell into an indescribably offensive mass of putrid uncleanness, and when he sought water to cleanse himself, the water was solid with frogs, so he got no cleansing there. The frogs were called krur and represented fruitfulness or fertility. The annual flood of the Nile which renewed the farmland caused them to make the goddess HEQT, embodied as a frog, the wife of the greatKhnum. The harming or death of a frog was a capital offense. It was punishable by death in that time, to have every square inch of the land thick with frogs. To feel them crunching beneath your feet. To smell your feared gods rotting in heaps.
THE REASON WHY:
- God was true and powerful, their gods were not. All this was a death blow to the closed system of their worship.
- God is very concerned that all know the CREATOR. HEQT was hit to show who really created Egypt.
GNAT/LICE PLAGUE [8:16-19] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: This was unannounced. Josephus said they were lice in Talmud but its not in the Hebrew text. The most hit group were the priests because of their shaving and purification became unclean. They controlled to a large degree the hearts and minds of the people.
THE REASON WHY: GOD alone is holy. No priests are or could make anyone holy!
FLY PLAGUE [8:20-32] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: These were blood sucking, caused blindness, that were abhorred. They were related to VATCHIT, the god of flies. They were not in Goshen, that is a miracle.
THE REASON WHY: Only GOD can protect from pestilence. VATCHIT is false and powerless.
CATTLE PLAGUE [9:1-7] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: Only the Egyptian cows were killed. They were significant to their worship [Davis, p. 121-22]. The god PTAH was sacred to the APIS bull, which was central to Egyptian worship. On November 13, 1856 Mariette found an underground avenue 1,120 feet long with 64 huge burial chambers. Each containing sarcophogi that were 12 feet long, 9 feet high and 6 feet wide. They were made of red and black granite and weighed over 60 tons each. HATHOR the goddess of love and beauty was depicted with bulls horns and a sun disk. The worship at Heliopolis used the sacred bull in Sun worship.
THE REASON WHY:
- PTAH was hit to show the god behind that bull was only an impotent demon.
- MNEVIS was hit to show that even the union of the sun god and the sacred APIS bull was powerless to keep the sacred bull on display at the Heliopolis alive!
- HATHOR the goddess of love and beauty was powerless in the ugliness of death.
- This plague was devastating to Pharaoh who had vast herds of cattle [Gen. 47:6, 17] The economy was so dependent on oxen for plowing and carts, cattle for milk and worship. Camels, donkeys and horses for transportation.
BOIL PLAGUE [9:8-17] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: Like the 3rd plague this one was unannounced. the Lion headed goddess SEKHMET was the regulator of epidemics and diseases. The magicians of Pharaoh’s court were so skilled in the arts of the occult, their names are still on record 2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. (KJV) All of Egypt believed that SERAPSIS was the god of healing and IMHOTEP the god of Medicine.
THE REASON WHY:
- SEKHMET was hit to prove he could not regulate epidemics and diseases.
- The magicians of Pharaoh’s court, Jannes and Jambres, found that when they withstood Moses his god was REAL!
- SERAPSIS was hit to demonstrate that only GOD is the One who is the god of healing.
- IMHOTEP was hit to declare who was really the god of Medicine.
HAIL PLAGUE [9:18-35] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: This plague occurred in late January of early February.The Egyptians of course, had a goddess of the sky and weather named NUT. Two other gods watched over agriculture. They were named ISIS and SETH.
THE REASON WHY:
- The blackened and desolate fields were a tragic testimony of the impotence their deities of wood and stone.
- The Egyptians had a goddess of the sky and weather named NUT who could not protect them from the CREATOR.
- ISIS and SETH were not really responsible for the crops, they were as all else, under the TRUE GOD OF HEAVEN AND EARTH!
LOCUST PLAGUE [10:1-20] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: The locust is perhaps nature’s most awesome example of the collective destructive power of a species. An adult locust weighs a maximum of two grams, and yet its combined destructive force can leave thousands of people in famine for years. The locust plagues were very much feared in ancient Egypt. So much so that the peasants were in the habit of praying to the locust god. [Satan likes to keep superstitious peoples enslaved to his demonic hordes evil powers.] No one who has ever seen the locust at work accuses the Bible of hyperbole. In 1926 and 1927, small swarms of the African migratory locusts were spotted in an area 50 by 120 miles on the plains of the river Niger near Timbuktu. The next year swarms invaded Senegal and Sierra Leone. By 1930 the whole of west Africa was flailing away at the pests with everything movable. But the locusts didn’t seem to notice; swarms reached Khartoum, more than 2,000 miles to the east of Timbuktu, then turned south, spreading across Ethiopia, Kenya, the Belgian Congo, and in 1932, striking into the lush farm land of Angola and Rhodesia. Before the plague finally sputtered out fourteen years after it began, it affected five-million square miles of Africa, an area nearly double the size of the United States. A locust is capable of eating its own weight daily. One square mile of a swarm will normally contain from 100,000,000 to 200,000,000 of the creatures. It is unusual, however, for such plagues to occupy an area of only one square mile. Swarms covering more than 400 square miles have been recorded.
THE REASON WHY: GOD alone can marshals his creatures to do His bidding.
DARKNESS PLAGUE [10:21-29] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: The darkness like in the deepest cave could be felt. All of Egypt instantly knew that the source of light was extinguished and for how long, no one knew. Only Israel had light in their dwelling places. The heart of all Egyptian religion was the worship of the sun god, RA. The largest of all the ancient temples with over 100 miles of walls and gardens, was the Luxor Temple of AMUN RA the Sun god. This god had a wife MUT and son KHONS all were sacred and of the highest degree of worship. HATHOR was the goddess who controlled the sky. HORUS was the son of RA. ISIS and OSIRUS completed the sacred pantheon.
THE REASON WHY:
- GOD, who is light, struck the heart of all Egyptian religion , the worship of the sun god, RA.
- Powerless were the legions of priests that overflowed the largest of all the ancient temples with over 100 miles of walls and gardens, was the Luxor Temple of AMUN RA the Sun god.
- RA and wife MUT and son KHONS all were sacred and of the highest degree of worship. None rose to defend their titles
- HATHOR was the goddess who controlled the sky. HORUS was the son of RA. None could undo what GOD had done.
- ISIS and OSIRUS who watched over the afterlife were watching in darkness.
- GOD alone gives the true light to guide individuals to the way, truth and life.
DEATH OF FIRSTBORN PLAGUE [11:1-12:32] =
THE PLAGUE DESCRIBED: Nothing we can imagine can come close to what happened on Passover Night. Life was going on in Egypt. The pest Moses had caused some problems but, nothing that couldn’t be forgotten. From cradle to stall, all the firstborn, known only to God, were struck. The wail and moans must have been indescribably chilling.
THE REASON WHY:
- Only the blood of God’s Sacrifice can keep His hand of wrath abetted. Only those who trust and obey would be safe.
- Egypt was powerful, pampered and proud. And on that very night, the Death Angel would make an unforgettable visit. There are some powerful lessons built into the Passover. We must not miss them.
What is it about the Passover we must remember? Two main areas are presented in the Bible, God’s Word.
THERE WAS A FINAL, DARK PLAGUE TO FEAR:
It was UNSPEAKABLE – to even imagine a supernatural messenger of doom was to hunt and kill the first born, was beyond words. That anyone could pick out the first born of man and livestock in the unlit blackness of an Egyptian night, is imperceivable. And to know it was tonight, was beyond words to express.
It was UNAVOIDABLE – there was no place he would not visit. Each family would be noticed and examined from poorest to the richest. From the huts of farming peasants to the ivory halls of palaces, all would see the dark shadow of the Death Angel.
It was UNSTOPPABLE – there was no power on earth then or now that could have stopped that stalking death. Nothing to deflect his sword of death.
It was UNEXPECTED – life was moving along as expected. Business as usual. Yes, that old fanatic was still crying judgment. But, we live in a real world, not some God we can’t see who can judge us. Remember, the god’s of Egypt were put to bed each night in their temples by the priest. Awakened each day, fed, clothed and put on display…
Sounds just like Hell and the wrath of God facing unrepentant sinners today. Remember that Jesus says!
THERE WAS A FULL SALVATION TO SEEK:
God’s offer was Salvation – He gave the ones who would listen the only solution to avert the disaster of the Death Angel’s sword.
God’s plan was Substitution – He detailed a simple act of taking an innocent, spotless lamb to die in the place of the family members.
God’s method was the Sprinkling of Blood – in the dark, a sprinkle of blood on the door posts was all it took to find protection.
God’s promise was Sufficient – it included deliverance from death, provision of all needs for life, and the hope of a land of promise flowing with milk and honey. All this with a personal guide to assure safe arrival!
So what does the Lord want us to remember tonight? THE PASSOVER. And what does that teach us? About our REDEMPTION.
THERE IS A FINAL, DARK PLAGUE TO FEAR:
It was UNSPEAKABLE –
It was UNAVOIDABLE –
It was UNSTOPPABLE –
It was UNEXPECTED –
Sounds just like Hell and the wrath of God facing unrepentant sinners today. Remember that Jesus says!
THERE IS A FULL SALVATION TO SEEK:
God’s offer was Salvation –
God’s plan was Substitution –
God’s method was the Sprinkling of Blood –
God’s promise was Sufficient –
Sounds like simply receiving the gift of God in Christ!
God REDEEMS HIS PEOPLE (Exodus 12-14)
- THE PASSOVER picture(Exodus 12) Exodus 12 gives us the thrilling story of the Passover, the clearest Old Testament picture of our individual salvation through faith in the shed blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. In this chapter is the basis for calling Christ the Lamb of God, Christ our Passover, and the many tender references to His crucifixion as the death of our own Passover Lamb. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us (I Corinthians 5:7. God said that the first-born in all Egypt should die. It would have fallen on the Hebrews, too, had they not killed the paschal lamb and been protected by its blood of redemption (Exodus 12:12,13).
What was the message of the Passover? It is found in Exodus 12:7 & 13.
- SPECIFIC: Only those who obeyed the Lord’s specific instructions would be spared.
- SACRIFICIAL: Put the BLOOD of an innocent, spotless lamb that was poured out, caught in a bowl and applied.
- SUBSTITUTIONARY: Paint it on the door posts as the reminder that a lamb was identifies with that family and it was slain. This was true of all the homes that wish to be spared the horrors of God’s wrath.
- SUFFICIENT: All who hid behind the shadow of that bloody sacrifice were protected from God’s wrath. The bloody cross of Calvary casts a narrow shadow in today’s sinful world. All who step by faith into that place of refuge are eternally saved from God’s wrath upon sin. And, they can begin to enjoy His abundant life forever.
- Doubt: Way of Wilderness (13)
- Deliverance: Salvation of the Lord (14) As always, it was not the covenant that saved, nor the sacrifices, nor the ceremonies. Not even big events were able to save them like the Passover, Red Sea event or Sinai. It was only by personal faith mixed with obedience (as most clearly shown in the brazen serpent incident). As the atonement was sufficient for all (they all came out of Egypt) it was only efficient or effective for those whose personally took the truth by faith (seemingly a precious few)!
Look at Ex. 12:38 (the same group as Neh. 13:3) who wanted a Savior without a Lord. This brings up a whole concept that troubles some people. It is called – LORDSHIP. I was once called in before a council at DTS to “defend Lordship”. I asked them to base our discussions on just the Bible, no issues or personalities. I shared the following 12 verses and they said they had no further questions.
- Luke 14:33“So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple. NKJV
- John 17:3“And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. NKJV
- Acts 5:32 “And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.” NKJV
- Acts 11:18When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life.” NKJV
- Acts 20:32“So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. NKJV
- Acts 26:20“but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. NKJV
- Colossians 1:23if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. NKJV
- 2 Thessalonians 1:8in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. NKJV
- Hebrews 12:9Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? NKJV
- James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. NKJV
- 1 Peter 1:2elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied. NKJV
- 1 John 2:17And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. NKJV
Note what the writer of Hebrews says about those who saw but never experienced God’s salvation. Hebrews 3:7-19 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you will hear His voice, 8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, In the day of trial in the wilderness, 9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, And saw My works forty years. 10 Therefore I was angry with that generation, And said, ‘They always go astray in their heart, And they have not known My ways.’ 11 So I swore in My wrath, ‘They shall not enter My rest.’ ” 12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,15 while it is said: “Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.” 16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness?18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. NKJV
God PREPARES the WAY (Ex. 15 – 18)
- Mighty god of moses: Twofold Song (Rev. 15:1-4;Exod.15:1-21) LESSON:The Christian life is not an easy road, but a hard and narrow one.
- Marah: Wells of Bitterness (15:22-26) LESSON: Only Jesus can make bitter days sweet through His Cross.
- Mannah(16) Jesus Bread of Life (John 6:48-51) ) LESSON: Manna is a type of Christ as well as a picture of our daily need of the Word! Note the elements of the Israelites gathering manna:
- Personal effort – gather by work
- Private obedience – not leave, won’t keep
- Priority discipline – melts
- Provision rest – not on the Sabbath; Three truths we can grow by:
God provides – perfect supply
God expects – must involve
God knows – can’t hide lack
- Rephidim(17:1-7) ) LESSON: Jesus Water of Life (John 4:13-14; I Cor. 10:4 who was smitten for us)
- Amalek: (17:8-16) )Deuteronomy 25:17-18 “Remember what Amalek did to you on the way as you were coming out of Egypt,18 “how he met you on the way and attacked your rear ranks, all the stragglers at your rear, when you were tired and weary; and he did not fear God. NKJV LESSON: Amalekites (the grandson of Esau) are a picture of the flesh and is our mortal enemy. Only Christ gives us the victory
- Jethro: LESSON:portrays the wisdom from above (spirit led shared ministry) that triumphs over earthly wisdom (weariness of self-empowered service for God). (18)
 John Davis, Moses and the God’s of Egypt , p. 87
 Davis, p. 109.
 Davis, pp. 128-130.
 Mears, What the Bible is all about, p. 36-37.