4 Questions from Last Sunday Night:
- “How Can I Defend from the Bible Calvary’s ‘No Speaking in Tongues’ Stance?”
- “How Can I Be Sure that I am Not Stacking Up Treasures that Jesus Said was Foolish in Luke 12?”
- “How Can I Know and Do God’s Perfect Will without Him Having to Push Me?”
- “Does God Change His Mind, and does He do so in Job 33:14?”
“How Can I Defend from the Bible Calvary’s ‘No Speaking in Tongues’ Stance?”
- NT RECORD: Other than Acts 2, 10, 19 & correction in 1 Corinthians by Paul, (around Acts 20) does anyone else ever even talk about tongue-speaking? The last miraculous healing appears to be in Acts 28 (about AD 58). From Acts 28 through the end of John’s apostolic inspired writing, NO other signs, wonders or recorded miracles.
- PURPOSE (1 Cor 14:21-22): Tongues are a sign for Israel
- TYPES: Two types of Gifts: Sign gifts & permanent Edifying Gifts
- CESSATION: 1 Cor. 13:8
- HISTORY: other than the Montanists and other fringe groups, there is not pattern of early church onward speaking in tongues/languages; no major church history figure taught/advocated/practiced tongues speaking.
“How Can I Be Sure that I am Not Stacking Up Treasures that Jesus Said was Foolish in Luke 12?”
- Matthew 6: God never said riches are wrong, just dangerous. Laying up treasures is great if it is not for “self” but God.
- Luke 12: The Goal of life is being rich towards God;
- 1 Cor. 16: Giving is clearly taught so that we have income, riches, treasures, and we get to systematically, sacrificially, & proportionately give them away.
- 2 Cor. 8: consecration
- 4:11/1 Tim 6: Contentment is a learned discipline
“How Can I Know and Do God’s Perfect Will without Him Having to Push Me?”
- Trust in the Lord with all your (Heart): 1 Cor. 6:19-20; Bought at price to glorify Him; means glorify God seek him first delete
- Lean not on own understanding (Mind): Rom 12:1-2 The greatest thing is to be useful to the Lord
- In all way Acknowledge Him (Body): Gal. 2:20 Crucified Life; Seek to Follow God through His Word;
- He shall direct path (literally “make smooth or straight”) this is (Life): as Psalm 16:11 says: He shows; we stay in presence
“Does God Change His Mind, and does He do so in Job 33:14?”