Take God at His Word
Exhortations for Blameless Living #3
I Thessalonians 2:13
As we look for Paul’s blueprint for Blameless Living, turn to Acts 17:1-9 to give us the introduction to this third of Paul’s powerful exhortations.
Paul walks to Thessalonia from Philippi:
Walks 30 miles to Amphipolis
30 more miles to Apollonia
37 more miles to Thessalonica
• So walks onward 97 miles on foot in a weak physical frame.
• REASONS 3 Sabbath days [v.2]
• PROCLAIMS CHRIST [v.3]
• PERSUADES [v.4] SOME
• STIRS JEALOUSY [v.5]
• EVOKES A CHARGE [v.6] “Upset the world”
• PRODUCES A CONVICTION [v.7] These rebels [Christians] are contrary to the decrees [words, laws, regulations] of Caesar”. What’s that? The word of the world. Who were they following? “Another King – Jesus”.
• So what’s the bottom line? They obeyed the word of God or took God at His word… Now I Thess. 2:13.
See – the Thessalonian converts were marked from the start! They took God at His word. They obeyed Him!
READ v.13. Word of God energized by faith! “Works in you that believe.”
-How astounding the language of Greek spoken in its normal way when combined with the Holy Spirit = radical transformation or transfiguration.
-The words of a man, Paul, were guided, inspired, Spirit breathed, recorded, read, and believed. THEY WORKED IN THEM!
THAT’S THE LIFE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT – A LIFE THE WORD OF GOD WORKS IN. IT’S A LIFE OF FAITH TAKING GOD AT HIS WORD!
From the Garden of Eden to the close of the pages of Scripture, the message is the same: TAKE GOD AT HIS WORD – Obey and believe.
Let’s strike 10 chords of appeal by great followers of God’s word:
1. ABEL [Genesis 4:3-5; Heb. 11:4] offered according to God’s word and God accepted Him. Are you offering what you are and have to God today?
2. ABRAHAM [Gen 12:1-4] Followed after God’s word…Yes, ran ahead, fell behind at times, but the direction of life was God’s. Is yours?
3. DAVID [Psalm 119:9-16] Ordered his life by God’s word… DO WE?