Bonnie & I are preparing to travel for the next two weeks. I am teaching one week of Bible Interpretation, then the second week is an Overview of the Book of Revelation. It has been amazing to revisit all my past courses and distill down the essence of what God wants us to know from that final book. Thanks for taking this ten-year journey with us to the mission field, after our decades in the pastorate. It is thrilling to see God at work in so many parts of the world as we train NextGeneration missionaries and equip FrontLine missionaries.
Welcome to Week-31 of our year-long journey through the Bible. This week we are studying John 10. Jesus is back ministering in Jerusalem during the Fall and Winter Feast celebrations. Each of His miracles and messages is so pointed as He nears the final countdown to the Cross. John 10 has one of the most encouraging, assuring, and challenging passages in the Bible—”My sheep hear My voice…and they follow Me”. Jesus repeats His initial two-word call, “follow me”, and enlarges it to be the proof of genuine salvation. He explains the clear-cut choices—either Satan who “kills, steals, and destroys”, or Jesus who gives life, and not just life—but supernatural life that overflows.
1. John 10:1-6—Jesus leads us by His voice: we hear, know Him, and fall in behind following Him. That is the evidence of salvation—hearing, responding & following.
2. John 10:7-14—Jesus is the doorway to life, we who enter experience abundant life, finding pasture (satisfaction) in Him.
3. John 10:15-21—Jesus laid down His life to save me, that is our way of coming to the Father.
4. John 10:22-30—Hearing Jesus’ voice (His Word) is the pathway of believing in Him, and thus oneness with Jesus and God our Father. We have never-perishing, un-snatchable life securely in Him.
5. John 10:31-42—They violently opposed and rejected Jesus who stood and declared God right before their eyes.
Application Prayer: Jesus, You are my Good Shepherd. You laid down Your life for me while I was still a sinner. You called me, and I hear You and follow. Help me to enjoy Your pasture today (v. 10), which satisfies my soul. Help me rest in Your promises of un-snatchable (v. 29), never-perishing (v. 28) life abundant. In Jesus’ Name, amen.