THE GLORIOUS GOSPEL ROMANS 1:16
Our text is Romans 1:16. Let’s go there together and find a new sense of wonder at the good news from God. The glorious gospel that we must never be ashamed of. This morning, let me tell you about some who have gone before you and have been unashamed of the GOSPEL. And then, we will discover together what makes the GOSPEL so special. What is the GOOD NEWS FROM GOD?
First, some who are unashamed. My mind immediately turns to two families in 1968 in the jungles of IRIAN JAYA, STAN AND PAT JOY…PHIL AND PHYLLIS MASTERS, DALE, WESLEY, HILARY, RODNEY AND BECKY, CRISSIE, ROBBIE AND CURT, MISSION-ARIES TO THE STONE AGED YALI PEOPLE OF THE REMOTE MOUNTAIN VALLEYS OF INDONESIA’S IRIAN JAYA. THE DATE 9/25/68…IN THE USA APOLLO 8 WAS CIRCLING THE MOON, JACQUELINE KENNEDY WAS MARRYING ARISTOTLE ONASSIS, RIOTS ERUPT IN CHICAGO, RFK IS ASSASSINATED AS RICHARD NIXON CAMPAIGN FOR THE 37TH PRESIDENCY…AND OFF ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET TWO MEN AND FIVE NATIVES WALK INTO THE JUNGLE UNASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL.
LET ME READ WHAT HAPPENED THAT DAY: [put in illustration]
That story can be repeated a thousand fold
1. The woman who turns down the raise to be at home to raise her child as God designed. 2. The man who refuses to sign the product inspection sheet even under pressure because it doesn’t meet specs 3. The teen who isn’t welcome at the gatherings because they won’t take part in the sinful practices. 4. The older couple who marry even though they could get more social security if they lived together.
But what makes such devotion? What produces such sacrifice? The gospel.
Let’s discover just three truths that can really grab you this morning about the gospel:
1. The AUTHORSHIP of the gospel. 2. The CONTENT of the gospel. 3. The DEMANDS of the gospel.
Subjection into GOSPEL (2 C. 9:1-3) Praise is in GOSPEL (2 C 8:18) Not hinder GOSPEL (1 C 9:12)
Priority Demands we be:
1. Separated to gospel (Rom. 1:1) 2. Obey gospel (Rom. 10:16)
Page 2 B
MACINTOSH HD:USERS:JOSEPHBARNETT:DOWNLOADS:930919AM.DOC 3/30/12
3. Minister gospel (Rom. 15:16) 4. Lives of gospel (1 C 9:14)
The Ability of the Gospel =
The GOSPEL is:
1. Power of God to save (Rom. 1:16) 2. Judges the secrets of men (Rom. 2:16) 3. The GOSPEL is Power to you (Rom. 16:25) 4. Revelation of mystery (Rom. 16:25) 5. Begotten throughthe GOSPEL I Cor 4.15 6. The light of the glory of the GOSPEL (2 C 4:4) 7. The GOSPEL Partakers of His promise in Christ by The GOSPEL (E. 3:6)
Gospel of Kingdom: Another gospel of Satan (2 C. 11:4) Grace of God (Acts 20:24) His Son (Rom. 1:9) God (Rom. 1:1) Christ (Rom. 15:19) Cross of Christ (1 Cor. 1:17) Salvation (Eph. 1:13)
Truth of Gospel = Gal. 2:5
Repent and believe GOSPEL (Mk. 1:14-15)
Preach GOSPEL (Mt. 24:14)
Preach The GOSPEL to all nations (Mk. 13:10) Preach The GOSPEL to every creature (Mk. 16:___) Preach The GOSPEL to the poor (Lk. 4:18)
Hear and believe The GOSPEL (Acts 15:7)