The Apostle Peter is a person we all love and we can relate to. It seems He was always doing something wrong — Paul never seems to be wrong — Peter often! In fact, we remember most of Peter’s blunders:
- FOR TRYING TO DIVERT CHRIST FROM THE CROSS – You say, “Peter tried to divert Christ from the cross!” (Matthew 16:22). The Lord did have to say to Peter, “…Get thee behind Me, Satan…” (v.23). Yet haven’t we all at one time or another blocked the expressed purpose of God, and therefore aligned ourselves with the adversary?
- FOR FALLING ASLEEP – You say, “Peter fell asleep in a prayer meeting” (Matthew 26:37-46). We have all fallen asleep in prayer meetings – at least those of us who go to prayer meetings.
- FOR DENYING CHRIST – We have all denied Him most often by our silence. Matthew 26:69
- SINKING IN THE SEA – Matthew 14:28
But, what we forget is — all of these goofs were for one reason. Peter loved Jesus Christ so much he had to be by His side — at all costs! In fact, Peter is the clearest picture of loving God in the New Testament — simple and direct love!
So, at the end of a full life, in AD 60-63 or so Peter distills his life in Christ into two letters, a total of 8 chapters.
In those two letters the Holy Spirit is mentioned three times directly. That’s our focus tonight. Learn from a beloved apostle who just plain loved Christ. How to love God more and more!
How to Love God More
Here’s the way Peter said — get to love God through:
- THE SPIRIT OF SANCTIFICATION
- THE SPIRIT OF INSPIRATION
- THE SPIRIT OF GLORY
Please open with me to I Peter 1:2.
THE SPIRIT OF SANCTIFICATION: The inseparable link between Holiness and Salvation.
What is Holiness or Sanctification? The word is: (Greek) – 10 times in the New Testament.
- RESULTANT -based on presentation to God. How enslaved to pangs, alcohol, sex? Repeated exposure. Romans 6:19- servants to righteousness unto holiness. Romans 6:22 – ye have your fruit unto holiness.
- POSITIONAL -because in Christ. I Corinthians 1:30 – and sanctification, and redemption.
- SOVEREIGN -It’s God’s will, desire and plan. I Thessalonians 4:3 – will of God, (even) your sanctification, (4) his vessel in sanctification and honour; (7) unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
- SPIRITUAL = work of Holy Spirit, His job! II Thessalonians 2:13 – through sanctification of the Spirit.
- PERSONAL – must strive for. I Timothy 2:15 -charity and holiness with sobriety.
- VITAL – only way to see God. Hebrews 12:14 – peace with all (men), and holiness.
- PART OF PLAN OF SALVATION I Peter 1:2 – through sanctification of the Spirit.
The idea of consecrated is so much a part of our lives —
- IN SOCIETY – Handicap spaces set aside for use by them only.
- IN FAMILY – Toothbrush, drawers, clothes, closets, cups, dishes for certain use only.
- IN BUSINESS – “dedicated lines” specific use only.
- IN PRACTICAL THINGS – buy a dessert for party – “sorry this is for …”
So we are set aside for God, He is the priority, etc.
THE SPIRIT OF INSPIRATION
THE WORD OF GOD IS:
- INFALLIBLE IN TOTAL Psalm 119:7
- INERRANT IN PART Proverbs 30:5-6
- COMPLETE Revelation 22:18-19
- AUTHORITATIVE Isaiah 1:2
- SUFFICIENT II Timothy 3:16-17
- EFFECTIVE Isaiah 55:11
- DIVINE II Peter 1:21
- DETERMINER John 8:31
- PRESERVED/PURE Psalm 12:6-7; 19:8-9
THE WORD OF GOD IS THE SOURCE OF:
- TRUTH John 17:17
- HAPPINESS Jeremiah 15:16
- GROWTH I Peter 2:2
- POWER Hebrews 4:12
- GUIDANCE Psalm 119:105
- COMFORT Romans 15:4
- PERFECTION II Timothy 3:16-17
- VICTORY OVER ENEMY Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (KJV)
READ – STUDY – MEMORIZE – MEDITATE
THE SPIRIT OF GLORY: The Spirit of abiding long in God’s presence.
Do you remember Moses’ face? It glowed with GLORY.
EDEN – walked with God. Genesis 3 – fell (Tabernacle – meet with God) Incarnation of Christ – God with us.
EMMANUEL – God with us. Matthew 1:23
ETERNITY – Revelation 21:3, 22:3-4