Armageddon is the word describing what the world will be like without Jesus. Mankind’s unending fight with God at last brings them the freedom they always wanted, life without God. The time has come for the fighting of that final war of the age, the name of which has become a byword among men since John first wrote it down–Armageddon!
God has chosen the Holy Land as the stage upon which two crucial events take place, one on a mountain, and one on a plain. MountCalvary and the Plain of Megiddo are the two altars of sacrifice that dominate the history of the world. The Holy Spirit of God has chosen five capable authors to describe for us in clear and chilling language that most famous of all battles — Armageddon!
What is Life Like Apart from Jesus?
Without His power life is reduced to living Hell.
- First, there will be PLAGUES ON THE EARTH sores ooze from their bodies as all the evil within starts to come out, a sign of inward corruption.
- Second, there will be POLLUTION IN THE SEAS as the sea filled with life become a stench of dead blood a sign of man’s hopelessness apart from God.
- Third, there will be POISON ON THE LAND all the streams of water on earth are poisoned, a sign of absolute desperation as water is imperative for life as is Jesus.
- Fourth, the sun which keeps life sustained on earth flares up blazing and burning the planet, a sign of false worship which started with sun worship is now powerless befoe the Creator.
- Fifth, from the brightness of a fiercely blazing sun to absolute blackness in the realm of the beast. This is a sign of the spiritual darkness Satan brings.
- Sixth, the waters of the great dividing river Euphrates dries up. A demon trio rounds up the army of the antichrist and Armageddon is their destination.
- Seventh, the greatest quake of all time is unleashed by God and more devastation occurs in that big one than in every other one combined. There are 5, 319 quakes on record at present. 1100-1149: 6; 1150-1199: 8; 1200-1249: 14; 1250-1299: 12; 1300-1349: 6; 1350-1399: 12; 1400-1449: 4; 1450-1499: 24; 1500-1549: 10; 1550-1599: 50; 1600-1649: 90; 1650-1699: 82; 1700-1749: 48; 1750-1799: 88; 1800-1849: 72; 1850-1899: 172; 1900-1949: 506; 1950-1997: 670
Please read Revelation 16:12-16
The Holy Land has been chosen by God as the stage upon which two crucial events take place, one on a mountain, and one on a plain. Mount Calvary and the Plain of Megiddo are the two altars of sacrifice that dominate the history of the world.
The Holy Spirit of God has chosen five capable authors to describe for us in clear and chilling language that most famous of all battles — Armageddon! The five authors include David, Isaiah, Joel, Zechariah, and John.
Ps. 2:1-5, 9: “What do the nations rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together against the Lord and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He who sitteth in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his great displeasure. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel”
Is. 34:1-6: “Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye peoples; let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth from it. For the indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies; he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter. Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stench shall come up out of their carcasses, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood. And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll; and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree. For my sword shall be bathed in heaven; behold, it shall come down upon Edom, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment. The sword of the Lord is filled with blood; it is made fat with fatness, and with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams; for the Lord hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Edom.”
Is. 63:3, 4, 6: “I have trodden the winepress alone, and of the peoples there was none with me; for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come. Any I will tread down the peoples in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth.”
Joel 3:2, 9-16: “I will gather all nations, and will bring them down into the Valley of Jehoshaphat, and will judge them there for my people and for my heritage, Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land….Proclaim them among the Gentiles, Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up; beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears; let the weak say, I am strong. Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye nations, and gather yourselves together round about; there cause they mighty ones to come down, O lord. Let the nations be wakened, and come up to the Valley of Jehoshaphat; for there will I sit to judge all the nations round about. Put in the sickle; for the harvest is ripe; come, get you down; for the press is full, the vats overflow; for their wickedness is great. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision; for the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision. The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their shining. The Lord also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem, and the heavens and the earth shall shake; but the Lord will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.”
Zech. 12:2: “Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege against Judah and against Jerusalem”
Zech. 14:2, 3, 12: “I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle….And this shall be the plague with which the Lord will smite all the peoples that have fought against Jerusalem: their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their month”
Revelation 14:14-20: “And I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in they sickle, and reap; for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe. And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth, and the earth was reaped. And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle. And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire, and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in they sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth, for her grapes are fully ripe. And the angel thrust his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs”
Revelation 16:16: “And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon”
Revelation 19:11-21: “And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written that no man knew but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood; and his name is called The Word of God. “And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations; and he shall rule them with a rod of iron; and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. “And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God, that ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. “And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. “And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth; and all the fowls were filled with their flesh”
What happens at Armageddon?
Events Concluding the Seven-Year Period
- Two witnesses slain by the Antichrist(Rev. 11:7)
- Two witnesses resurrected(Rev. 11:11-12)
- The king of the South (Egypt) and the king of the North fight against the Antichrist(Dan. 11:40a) ““At the time of the end the king of the South shall attack him; and the king of the North shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, horsemen, and with many ships”
- Antichrist enters Palestine and defeats Egypt, Libya, and Ethiopia(Dan. 11:40a-43) Daniel 11:40b-43 “and he shall enter the countries, overwhelm them, and pass through.41 “He shall also enter the Glorious Land, and many countries shall be overthrown; but these shall escape from his hand: Edom, Moab, and the prominent people of Ammon.42 “He shall stretch out his hand against the countries, and the land of Egypt shall not escape.43 “He shall have power over the treasures of gold and silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt; also the Libyans and Ethiopians shall follow at his heels.
- Armies from the East and the North move toward Palestine(Dan. 11:44;Rev. 16:12) Daniel 11:44 “But news from the east and the north shall trouble him; therefore he shall go out with great fury to destroy and annihilate many.
- Jerusalem is ravaged(Zech. 14:1-4)
- Commercial Babylon is destroyed(Rev. 16:19; 18:1-3, 21-24)
- Signs appear in the earth and sky(Isa. 13:10; Joel 2:10, 30-31; 3:15; Matt. 24:29)
- Christ returns with the armies of heaven(Matt. 24:27-31; Rev. 19:11-16)
- Jews flee Jerusalem facilitated by topographical changes(Zech. 14:5)
- Armies unite at Armageddon against Christ and the armies of heaven(Joel 3:9-11; Rev. 16:16; 19:17-19)
- Armies are destroyed by Christ(Rev. 19:19, 21)
- The ”beast“ (Antichrist) and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire(Rev. 19:20)
John says, “And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.” Babylon and all it stands for is about to be overthrown.
Why dry up the Euphrates? Ancient Babylon was overthrown when the armies of Cyrus the Persian diverted the waters of theEuphrates to allow them into the city. But here before the armies of the east can converge on the capital of the beast, a hindrance must be removed. That hindrance is described as “the great riverEuphrates.” They drying up of the Euphrates could be literal, for the river is indeed a great river. It is eighteen hundred miles long and in places it is thirty-six hundred feet wide and thirty feet deep. In ancient times it was a formidable barrier to an invading force from the east, and for centuries it has been the dividing line between east and west.
The Euphrates River will be dried up, and the barrier to invasion from the East will be removed. You may remember from news reports of the 1991 Gulf War how the Euphrates River formed an impassable barrier to the armies of Saddam Hussein as they attempted to retreat from U.N. forces. They were bottled up with the armies of 30 countries before them and the Euphrates at their backs. But in the day of the sixth bowl of judgment, invading armies will roll across the cracked, dry riverbed of the Euphrates–right into the jaws of World War III!
Who are the kings of the east? As the bowl is poured out, the river dries up, preparing the way for invading armies of the “kings of the East”–that is, from nations which possibly include China, India,Japan, and other Asian countries. “We have seen in recent years that some of these countries have risen to great prosperity and military power. The transformation of Japan from a humiliated and devastated nation in 1945 to one of the most powerful economic forces of the late twentieth century is nothing less than amazing. The transformation of China from a backward agrarian economy to near-superpower status is equally amazing. We can be virtually certain that these historical changes have been in preparation for the day of judgment that is coming at the end of this age.
“Here we are given insight into the way nations are moved by unseen forces. Leaders of nations think that they control events, when it is actually they who are controlled by events–and by unseen spiritual forces. In this passage we see three evil spirits in the appearance of frogs which proceed out of the mouths of the satanic trinity–the red dragon, the scarlet beast, and the false prophet. With demonic miracles they deceive the nations, manipulating and maneuvering them into launching the final war of human history.
“It is a time of terror and unparalleled destruction. All the arsenals of the world will be unleashed. The armies of the world– million warriors–will gather into Palestine to bathe the Holy Land in blood.”
In his little booklet entitled Profiles of Prophecy, Dr. S. Franklin Logsdon writes, “A former president of the Norwegian Academy of Sciences, helped by historians from Britain, Egypt, Germany andIndia, and using a computer, has found that since 3600 B.C. the world has known only 292 years of peace. In this period of more than 55 centuries that have been 14,531 wars, large and small, in which more than 3.6 billion people were killed. Since 650 B.C., there have been 1,656 arms races, all except 16 ending in war, and those 16 ended in economic collapse for the countries concerned.”1
This coming War of Armageddon will be by far the biggest, boldest, bloodiest, most brazen, and most blasphemous of all times! We shall now consider the negative and positive elements of this war.
Why would God allow an Armageddon? To show Jesus as King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquerors – 2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.
Is this the final battle? No it isn’t. One more is in Revelation 20. Armageddon is not the same as the Russian invasion of Ezekiel 38. Note the differences: Russia invades from the north, but at Armageddon the nations come from all directions. Russia invades to capture Israel’s wealth, but this invasion is to destroy the Lamb and his people. Gog leads the Russian invasion, but the antichrist leads this one. Armageddon is not the final war in the Bible — the final war occurs after the millennium (Revelation 20:7-9). Armageddon takes place at the end of the Tribulation.
It is A LESSON IN GOD’S KINGSHIP: When you are chosen by God there is no limit to what all He can do with you! When God pickedJerusalem it was unknown and would have ended up like any other of the vanished cities whose ruins dot the globe. But no, He said I put My name here forever! And what has happened? JERUSALEMhas become:
- The NERVE center of the world GEOGRAPHICALLY (Ezek. 5:5) “Thus says the Lord God: ‘This is Jerusalem; I have set her in the midst of the nations and the countries all around her.
- The SALVATION center of the world SPIRITUALLY (Jn. 4:22)
- The STORM center of the world PROPHETICALLY (Zech. 14: 1-8)
- The GLORY center of the world ULTIMATELY (Isaiah 2:1-5)
The destruction of Jerusalem: Perhaps the saddest event during the Tribulation will be the siege and destruction of the Holy City. This will be the 47th and last take-over of the beloved city of David. The following passages bear this out:
- “Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege…” (Zech. 12:2).
- “For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half the city shall go forth into captivity…” (Zech. 14:2).
- “And when ye sill see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh” (Luke 21:20).
Where will it occur? The location of the battle Dr. Herman A. Hoyt describes the location: “The staggering dimensions of this conflict can scarcely be conceived by man. The battlefield will stretch from:
- Megiddo on the north (Zech. 12:11; Revelation 16:16) to
- Edom on the south (Is. 34:5, 6; 63:1), a distance of sixteen hundred furlongs — approximately two hundred miles. It will reach from the
- Mediterranean Sea on the west to the
- Hills of Moab on the east, a distance of almost one hundred miles.
Four Names Involved in Armageddon
Thus there would seem to be at least four important names involved in the battle of Armageddon:
- The Valley of Jehoshaphat— a valley situated just east of Jerusalem, between the Holy City and the Mount of Olives. See Joel 3:2, 12.
- The Valley of Esdraelon— a valley twenty miles long and fourteen miles wide, situated north and west of Jerusalem between the HolyCity and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Megiddo— a flat plain located in the Valley of Esdraelon (Zech. 12:11).
- Bozrah— a city in Edom, east of the Jordan River and near Petra, the capital of Edom. These two cities will play an important role during the second coming of our Lord. See Isaiah 34:6 and 63:1.
At the center of the entire area will be the city of Jerusalem (Zech. 14:1, 2). Into this area the multiplied millions of men, doubtless approaching 400 million, will be crowded for the final holocaust of humanity. The kings with their armies will come from the north and the south, from the east and from the west….In the most dramatic sense this will be the ‘Valley of decision’ for humanity (Joel 3:14) and the great winepress into which will be poured the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God (Revelation 19:15).”
Marvin Vincent writes concerning Armageddon and its location, “Megiddo was in the plain of Esdraelon, which has been a chosen place for encampment in every contest carried on in Palestine from the days of…Assyria unto the disastrous march of Napoleon Bonaparte from Egypt into Syria, Jews, Gentiles, Saracens, Christian Crusaders, and anti-Christian Frenchmen; Egyptians, Persians, Druses, Turks, and Arabs, warriors of every nation that is under heaven, have pitched their tents on the plains of Esdraelon, and have beheld the banners of their nation wet with the dews of Mt. Tabor and Mt. Hermon.”
In addition to church history, a number of battles took place in this area, as reported by the Old Testament:
- It was here that Deborah and Barak defeated the Canaanites (Judges 4, 5).
- It was here that Gideon defeated the Midianites (Judges 7).
- It was here that the Philistines defeated and killed Saul (1 Sam. 31).
- It was here that an Egyptian king killed Josiah (2 Kings 23).
The reasons for the battle:What will draw all the nations of the world into the area of Armageddon? They will gather themselves there for perhaps various reasons. It would seem that the following are three of the more important reasons:
What will draw all the nations of the world into the area of Armageddon?
- Because God sovereignly fulfills His Word.
- Because Satan wickedly deceives the world.
- Because humans were born God-hating sinners
- Because God sovereignly fulfills his word. In at least five distinct passages we are told that God himself will gather the nations here:
- “…he hath delivered them to the slaughter” (Is. 34:2).
- “I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat…” (Joel 3:2).
- “For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle…” (Zech. 14:2).
- “…For my determination is to gather the nations….to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger…” (Zeph. 3:8).
- “And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon” (Revelation 16:16).
- Because Satan wickedly deceives the world (Revelation 16:13, 14). In this passage we are told that three special unclean spirits will trick the nations into gathering at Armageddon.
- Because humans were born God-hating sinners.
- A number of passages tell us of this devilish hatred (Ps.
- Psalm 2:1-3 Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying, 3 “Let us break Their bonds in pieces And cast away Their cords from us.”
- Revelation 11:18 The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, And those who fear Your name, small and great, And should destroy those who destroy the earth.”
- The nations, led by the antichrist, will doubtless realize the imminent return of Christ (Revelation 11:15; 12:12).
- They will also be aware of his touching down on the Mount of Olives (Zech. 14:4; Acts 1:9-12).
- Thus it is not unreasonable to assume they will gather in that area to destroy him at the moment of his return to earth!
The end is coming. The world is going to fall apart. Mankind will cease to be as we now know life to be. So what about it. What does God want now that we are listening? He wants us to worship His Son.
On Mount Calvary grace redeemed the world by the sacrifice of God’s Son; on the plains of Megiddo vengeance offers up the armies of the world in a sacrifice of doom.
- Both are blood baths:
- Both are the descent of wrath upon sin;
- Both are brought about by God’s bitterest foes who work out, despite themselves, God’s perfect and sovereign will.
- Across both can be written the words of Peter, “The Gentiles, and peoples of Israel, were gathered together, for to do whatsoever they hand and thy counsel determined before to be done” (Acts 4:27-28).
- From each proceeds a supper: one a feast of remembrance for the people of God, and the other a feast of retribution for the carrion.
- At Calvary there rang up to the gates of heaven a victorious cry, “It is finished!”
- And at Armageddon there rings down to earth an answering cry from the temple gates in glory, “It is done!”
- Both events shake the earth in Mt. 27:51-54 Quake + Christ’s Res.; Revelation 16:18 The Greatest Quake
- Both events attack and conquer Satan’s domain at Christ’s death the graves opened and saints raised from death (contrary to Satan’s power) and in Revelation 16 the bowls are poured on the air the present headquarters of Satan
Revelation 16 is an art gallery with seven divinely inspired PORTRAITS OF CHRIST. Against the darkened screen of Christ’s wrath poured out upon sin, are seven glowing pictures. Look at these riveting portraits of Jesus. Pause with me before each one:
- In v. 1-2: Jesus has SANCTIFYING POWER as the One who cleanses and keeps (Jude 24-25) Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.
- In v. 3 Jesus has LIFE GIVING POWER as the One who gives abundant life (Jn. 10:10) “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
- In v. 4-7 Jesus has SATISFYING POWER as the One who promises us we will never thirst (John 7:37-39) On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.38 “He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
- In v. 8-9 Jesus has LIBERATING POWER as the One who sets us free (Jn. 8:31-36)
- In v. 10-11 Jesus has ENLIGHTENING POWER as the One who gives us daily light and true spiritual sight (Jn. 8:12;acts 26:18)
- In v. 12-16 Jesus has CONQUERING POWER as the One who always leadsus into triumph ( I Cor. 2:14)
- In v. 17-21 Jesus has SECURING POWER as the One who gives us our ultimate eternal security (Rom. 8:31-39,heb. 7)
There have been continuous global earthquake monitoring and studies going on for over a century. There is also an interesting source on the web that has catalogued all recorded quakes from 2100 BC to 1995 AD. Not all of the available records of earthquake activity and events agree among themselves. There seems to be considerable divergences, ommissions and even errant conclusions. Careful study and analysis is always vital.There seems to be a 30 year cycle of tectonic activity. This cycle is also seemingly on a downward or lessening trend as would be implied from the Genesis Record of the Flood and the volcanism associated with those events.
Twentieth-Century Earthquakes As “Birth Pangs”
The Lord Jesus Christ spoke of earthquakes as “signs” of His coming again to receive His saints. He said, “There will be earthquakes in divers places” (Matthew 24:7; Mark 13:8), a fact now verified by the global distribution of earthquakes recorded on seismographs. Most noteworthy is Jesus’ statement that the earthquake sign is the “beginning of soffows” (Matthew 24:8; Mark 13:8). The word translated sorrows in many English Bibles is the Greek word for “birth pangs.” Just as we know from birth pangs that a pregnant woman is about to give birth to a child, Jesus says we know that the intolerable anguish of God’s judgment and the return of His Son is at hand. The 30-year cyclic curve of earthquake frequency in figure I is consistent with Jesus’ statement about birth pangs.”
The apostle Paul also develops the birth pang theme when he notes that the whole creation is “groaning in travail” (Romans 8:22) awaiting the new birth of the world. The apostle John speaks of a “great earthquake” associated with the opening of the sixth seal (Revelation 6:12), followed by the sign of the pregnant woman (Revelation 12:2), and followed by the greatest earthquake since men have been upon the earth (Revelation 16:18- 20). This future “Armageddon earthquake” will be associated with the return of Christ to Jerusalem (Acts 1:9-1 1; Zechariah 14: 1-1 1) and is described as inflicting severe topographic and geologic changes on a global scale. After God’s voice shakes the earth mightily (Hebrews 12:26) and fully accomplishes these extraordinary geologic changes, His saints will receive a “kingdom which cannot be moved” (Hebrews 12:27-29).
I . Rene Noorbergen, A.D. 2000: A Book About the End of Time (New York, Bobbs-Merrfll Co., 1984), p. 80.
- Ibid. The statement comes from inside the front of the book’s dust jacket.
- Lester Sumrall, “Faniines, Pestilence, Earthquakes, as Man Rebels,” in Bob Anderson et al., Earth’s Final Days (Green Forest, AR, New Leaf Press, 1994), pp. 63-76.
- Gary Stearman, “Are Earthquakes on the Increase?” Prophecy in the News(June 1996). 5. See Stearman’s apology for the Philadelphia Inquirer’sincomplete data in “Earthquakes are Indeed on the Increase” (pp. 27-28) in the next issue of Prophecy in the News
 Herman A. Hoyt, The End Time (Chicago: Moody, 1969), p. 163. Used by permission
 K. Abe and S. Noguchi, “Revision of magnitudes of large shallow earthquakes, 1897- 1912,” Physics of Earth and Planetary Interiors, 33 (1983): pp. 1-11.
 National Oceanographic & Atmospheric Administration, Seismicity Catalog(Boulder, CO., National Geophysical Data Center, 1996), two volumes on CD-ROM.
 For an updated introduction to the various earthquake information sources see Dr. Steve Malone’s “Surfing the Internet for Earthquake Data” (the URL is http:// www.geophys.washington.edulseismosurfing.html).
 Steven A. Austin, John R. Baumgardner, D. Russell Humphreys, Andrew A. Snelling, Larry Vardiman, and Kurt P. Wise, Catastrophic Plate Tectonics: A Global Flood Model for Earth History (Santee, CA., Geology Education Materials, 1996), 48 pp. and 80 slide photographs.
 Steven A. Austin, “Earthquakes in these Last Days,” Institutefor Creation Research Impact No. 198 (December 1989), 4 pp.
 Henry M. Morris, The Revelation Record (Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, 1983), p. 321.